For most teachers of color, being in a room where they are the minority is commonplace
Growing up in an area where I was the minority, it was rare for me to see teachers or other authoritarians of color. When I did eventually encounter them, they were substitute teachers or security guards. I would notice their expressions when confronted with social, racial, and economic issues that minority students faced. Still, they were often hesitant because they didn't want to say the wrong thing or didn't want to educate other staff members on anti-discriminatory practices (which is something people should already have a grasp on).
- Hero to Zero: Teaching throughout a pandemic ›
- During the pandemic, teachers are being attacked - Indy100 ... ›
- Identities - Indy100 Conversations ›
- People - Indy100 Conversations ›
- Culture - Indy100 Conversations ›